10 Instant Ways to Regain Lost Motivation at Work
Remember the butterflies in your stomach when you first started your job? Would you still feel the same excitement and unbeatable motivation for your new job? Doubt it. That’s why you are here, right?
Good news: You are not alone. This inspirational article is here to help you regain the motivation you need!
No matter who you are, you will have moments where you feel like you have lost your motivation and do not want to do anything at all. We all have demotivated days at the office. Even highly effective and successful people feel demotivated at times. However, it is how they deal with this “down” time that keeps them going and helps them accomplish great things. Off days happen to everyone and it’s tough, if not unrealistic, to constantly do your best work. There are bound to be times when you procrastinate too much, lack focus, or struggle to start important projects.
But you don’t have to stay stuck in this rut. With some exploration and reflection, you can get to the bottom of what’s sapping your energy and dig yourself out of it. Here are 10 great ways to overcome a loss of motivation.
- Recognize Great Work: One of the most important factors that contribute to employee motivation is how often their hard work is recognized and appreciated. 70% of employees say that motivation and morale would improve massively with an increased recognition from managers. After all, if an employee puts a lot of effort with a positive mindset into a project to produce exceptional results but if their hard work isn’t recognized, why would they continue to be high-performing employees?
- Be Emotionally Strong: If you feel a lack of motivation, try to re-evaluate why you wanted to do it in the first place. The reason and the goal are the driving force behind everything you do. It is only when you are strong-willed and emotionally strong that you will do everything that it takes to accomplish the task. This is one of the most important attributes to gain motivation at work.
So why do you do what you do? Do you know why you want to achieve your goals and your targets? Make sure your reasons are strong and emotional. When you have no motivation, think about the purpose why you want to do it.
- Don’t Let Your Goals Overwhelm You: To avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed by your goals, try creating smaller & achievable goals. If you are feeling overwhelmed, it might help to break down the goals into smaller tasks. By focusing on one goal at a time, you will avoid feeling overwhelmed and get more accomplished. Some might say “just start somewhere”. But this is the worst advice I ever heard when it comes to dealing with a deluge.
- Note Down the Reasons: Making a list always helps. The feeling of losing the zeal and motivation at work is really demotivating. To help yourself, take a pen and a piece of paper and write down what troubles you. This is the best way to get rid yourself of that searingly dull feeling. This can be one of the most important attributes you can regain motivation at work.
When you have completed the list, do your best to change your mind set for success and refocus on the positive aspects of overcoming the obstacles step by step.
- Create A Supportive Environment: The surroundings and your environment affect your mood immensely. You will take attributes from people around you and carry them with you. If you are always surrounded by successful people who talk about their growth and learning, you will learn and join the conversation as well. This is how you can get motivated and use your environment to boost your energy levels.
- Celebrate Results: What makes your team motivated and regains the lost zeal to work is celebrations. Celebrating every small outcome can be one of the most important attributes contributing toward regaining that lost motivation in any workplace. It makes the team feel a part of the organization and makes them feel their hard work is appreciated.
This does not mean you need to give a standing ovation to every employee who made it work. But it is crucial to let everyone know exactly how and how much of their contributions move the organization forward.
- Believe In Yourself: You kind of want to do this thing, but deep down you really don’t believe you can do it. And it is wreaking havoc on your motivation because the voice in your head keeps telling you “Why are you even trying? You won’t get there anyway.”
Look at your past achievements and remind yourself that you managed to crack very challenging goals before and at that time you weren’t so sure about yourself either. Thus, you can tackle this one now as well!
Read more about Tips to Stay Motivated
- Connect with your co-workers: Peeking at what the colleagues around you are doing and how they are performing is what many people do when their work becomes boring. It may seem wrong at first sight but seeing other people’s good performances can enhance your motivation, especially if you admire those motivated individuals who continuously deliver exceptional results.
So, connecting with such impressive coworkers via email or social media networks turns out to be a good idea. That’s how you can share ideas and learn from them.
- Stay Happy: If you feel like you are sleepwalking through your workday, it’s likely that you are among those people who feel emotionally disconnected at the office. Don’t underestimate your social needs when trying to pinpoint your motivational barrier.
Being emotionally happy ranks as the third most important aspect of our mental health, pulling up only after physical needs and safety. Feeling accepted and useful at work is essential to sustaining the drive to stick with your duty’s day after day.
Evaluate if you are simply tired: There is so much going on in your life. So many things to take care of. You are stressed out at best and burnt out at worst. Hence, you completely lose your willingness to do this thing even if you really want to do it. Free up physical and mental energy and reprioritize! Rest, de-stress and sleep enough to recharge your batteries. Say “no” to things that are less important than your goal. Clear your mind with meditation and journaling.
The EZJobs app is a free-to-use jobs platform that connects employers and candidates for local, part-time and seasonal jobs. You can download the EZJobs app today and find jobs around you. Regain that lost motivation and start applying using EZJobs application.